Jonas’ Birth Story

This pregnancy was different than my other two.  I know that every pregnancy is different, and I thought that my first and second pregnancies were different.  But, number three was WAY different for me.  I had heard from many people that there’s “something about number three.”  No one really had a concrete explanation for what that meant, but I thought about it every. single. day.  I was pretty sure it had to be bad.  My previous labors had been mostly good experiences for me.  That meant that number three would be harder.  I was pretty sure that’s what it meant anyway.

As I got to the end of my pregnancy, I noticed that Jonas was on the right side of my abdomen as opposed to the left side where most babies settle toward the end of pregnancy.  I was pretty sure that was it.  The fact that he was on the right side was what was going to lead to the difficulties I was sure to experience during labor.  I was sure of it.  Thankfully, my friend, Rhonda, was confident in my ability to birth this baby.  I, however, was not.  Starting around my 34th week of pregnancy, I began to experience a significant increase in contractions.  I woke up in the middle of the night at one point with contractions that were coming every 5 minutes and were uncomfortable, verging on painful.  Nothing came of that bout of contractions.  However, it happened several other times as I approached my due date.  By the time the week before my due date arrived, I had convinced myself that Jonas’ position was “bad,” that my labor was going to be long and difficult, and that I may not go into labor on my own at any point.  Looking back I’m not sure how I managed to let my worries and hormones get to this point, but I did.

On Thursday afternoon, the day before Jonas was born, I had a visit from Rhonda.  She gave me a pep talk and reiterated to me that I was capable of birthing my baby and that having the baby was what my body was meant to do.  I managed to relax a bit.  Later that evening, I went to Target to pick up a few items and while I was there I couldn’t believe that with all the irregular contractions I was having along with the pressure I felt that I wasn’t in labor.  I called a friend to firm up plans for childcare just in case I went into labor during the weekend.

Friday morning, I woke up at a little after 5 with a contraction.  It was strong enough that I felt like I should check the clock and see if there was any sort of pattern.  There wasn’t.  My next contraction was something like 13 minutes later, then 6 minutes, then 10.  At that point, I knew I was having enough contractions and it was my due date, so I woke Jason to tell him I was in labor.  I also told him to go back to bed (not sure what I was thinking).  He didn’t listen to me.  He knew better.  After a couple more contractions, I took him my phone and told him to call our friend to watch Kael and Asa so we could go to the hospital.  He also called labor & delivery to let them know we’d be coming.  It was 5:50.

Once our friend arrived, we left for the hospital.  Luckily for me, it was a very short (5ish minutes) drive.  When we got upstairs to L&D, the nurse who met us said, “We saw your last labor was 40 minutes, so we’re ready for you.”  I went into my room.  The nurses offered me a hospital gown, and I said, “No thanks.  I don’t care if my clothes get dirty, but I don’t want to wear one of those.”  They asked if I would lay down so they could check to see how far dilated I was.  I intended to lay on the bed, but the contractions were so intense I couldn’t do it.  I told them they should probably call my doctor.  They said they would call my resident (I had a doctor and a resident, because I go to a clinic which is affiliated with a med school and trains family practice residents).  They explained the resident usually comes in to assess the patient and relays the situation to the doctor.  I told them to call my resident and my doctor.  One of the nurses left to go get something.  The other asked if I wanted a birth ball to sit on.  I told her that I probably wouldn’t sit on it, but I might lean on it.  She made a flippant comment like, “You’re not going to have a baby while I’m gone are you?”  I said, “I can’t promise anything.”  She said, “Are you having pressure?”  I think I said something very well-mannered like, “Well, yeah!”  She said, “I’ll have someone else get the ball for you.” 🙂

Just a couple minutes after that conversation, I said, “I have to push!”  I hadn’t been checked.  There was no doctor there or anywhere near, and I was still standing next to the bed.  Apparently Jonas didn’t care.  I started pushing.  My water broke after a push or two, and I heard the nurse say, “Where’s the doctor?”  “That’s a head!”  “Is the doctor coming????”  Because I was still standing, the nurses started throwing pillows and other absorbent and soft items on the floor between my feet.  Jonas was born a short time later at 6:22.  The nurse caught him.  He was 22.5 inches long and 9 lbs 11.5 oz.

The resident on call arrived a few minutes later.  My doctor arrived about 5 minutes after him, and my resident arrived about 5 minutes after that.  He latched on soon after birth, and he is breastfeeding well.  I am writing this 2 weeks and 2 days after his birth, and according to my unofficial weight check in our bathroom, he’s somewhere around 12.5 lbs.


  1. I have been waiting for this! I love your birth stories because they are all so intense. I am glad you had a good experience and #3 didn’t throw in any monkey wrenches for you! Congrats again!

  2. Wow. That was a fast labor! So glad that Jonas arrived on his own time and didn’t wait for the doctors 🙂

  3. Thank you for sharing Casey! How fast! Neat he came before the doctor got there, and that no one was forcing you to the bed, that is NOT fun while pushing!

  4. Wow. This was intense to read. I hope you and your new addition are settling into life together well.


Speak Your Mind